Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Travel Plans Confirmed

Hello out there in Blogland!

I wanted to let you all know the most recent developments in my Red Cross Adventure. I just got off the phone with the travel agent and have reservations to leave on Monday the 19th to fly into Lafayette, LA (through George Bush airport of course). From there I will somehow get to the "staging area" in Baton Rouge and then they can send me on to somewhere, anywhere - yep anywhere in Louisiana!

I have no idea what the conditions will be like where I am staying - the Red Cross says there may or may not be power, running water, etc. I also really don't know what I will be doing. It will be counseling of some sort but who knows if it will be with kids, adults, or whoever shows up. In the orientation phone call I had the other day they stated that in the places they are serving there have been literally hundreds of people - like 600 - who need to meet with a counselor!

I will be returning on Monday the 3rd of October (sorry Mom I'm missing your birthday!) and will go back to work shortly after that. One very good thing is that my employer agreed to let me take the two weeks off without using any vacation time. I didn't expect this at all and was very surprised and glad!

Currently I am feeling exhausted, excited and nervous. I so want to do this but almost can't believe I am really going. As the day gets closer it feels more and more surreal.

Well, that's all the updates for now! I am off to bed!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Wow. Well, have a good weekend before you go. Try to get lots of rest and treat yourself a bit so that you feel revitalized. Good luck out there and be safe. It so wonderful that you have a skill that can help those poor people. All of us in blogland will keep you in our thoughts!