Saturday, January 28, 2006

Knitting and Levees...

I have been one of the world's laziest bloggers lately. I keep meaning to write but then have these great ideas of what I should write but get overwhelmed by the effort it will take to write them! So tonight I was inspired and decided to just type already!

You will notice my blog has somewhat morphed into writing about New Orleans... Well today's post will be both knitting and New Orleans related.

For those of you who are interested in hearing more about the current situation in NOLA head on over to Tim's blog. He speaks from a personal and political (how can the two not be mixed on the issue of NOLA these days) view on things there. He has moved back to New Orleans with his wife and child after having had their home ruined by the flood. To me his posts really reflect the reality of the situation in the city. He makes many good points including that to rebuild the city New Orleans needs IMPROVED hurricane protection. They don't just need the levees to be rebuilt - things need to be improved. Our government needs to hear this loud and clear from all of us... A band aid just won't do the job!

Now on a knitting note Ray has help to organize a wonderful project called Bundle Up New Orleans. Head on over to the site to find out how you can help just by knitting warm items such as hats, scarves and mittens for the people in NOLA who so desperately need something warm at this time of the year. When I was there two weeks ago I was surprised by just how cold it really is. It was cold and windy and I didn't have a hat or scarf but so wanted one. I now have one hat ready to go and need to look through my stash to see what else I want to make. Please please join me!

No comments: